Collection of your personal information
How we collect and store information depends on how you access and use the Platform. We collect information in multiple ways including when you provide information directly to us, when you permit third parties to provide information to us, and when we passively collect information from you, such as information collected from your browser or device.
Information You Provide Directly to Us
- We may collect information from you during your use or access of the Platform, such as:
- When you register for an Account;
- When you participate in polls or surveys;
- When you enroll for electronic newsletters;
- When you request a quote or other information;
- When you submit or respond to a request;
- When you make a purchase;
- When you fill out any forms;
- When you enter sweepstakes or contest or register for a promotion;
- When you transmit User Content;
- When you download or use one of our mobile applications; or
- When you otherwise communicate with us or other users through the Platform.
The information you provide directly to us may concern you or others and may include, but is not limited to: (a) name; (b) zip code; (c) email address; (d) home or business telephone number; (e) home, business or mailing address; (f) demographic information (e.g., gender, age, political preference, education, race or ethnic origin, and other information relevant to user surveys and/or offers); (g) date of birth; (h) insurance information; (i) photographs; (j) information about your project, request or need; (k) video or audio files; (l) in certain circumstances, payment and/or identity verification information; and/or (m) any other content you include in communications with other users through the Platform or communications with us. It may also include information specific to services you are requesting or offering through the Platform, such as a business name, service description, qualifications, and credentials. You are not required to provide us with such information, but certain features of the Platform may not be accessible or available, absent the provision of the requested information.
Information from Affiliates, Social Networking Sites, and other Non-affiliated Third Parties
We may collect information about you or others through Supwork affiliates or non-affiliated third parties. For example, you may be able to access the Platform through a social networking account, such as Facebook. If you access the Platform through your Facebook account, you may allow us to have access to certain information in your Facebook profile. This may include your name, profile picture, gender, networks, user IDs, list of friends, location, date of birth, email address, photos, videos, people you follow and/or who follow you, and/or your posts or “likes.” Social networking sites, such as Facebook, have their policies for handling your information. For a description of how these sites may use and disclose your information, including any information you make public, please consult the sites’ privacy policies. We have no control over how any third-party site uses or discloses the personal information it collects about you.
We may collect information about you or others through non-affiliated third parties. For example, to the extent permitted by law, we may, in our sole discretion, ask for and collect supplemental information from third parties, such as information about your credit from a credit bureau, or information to verify your identity or trustworthiness, or for other fraud or safety protection purposes. We may combine information that we collect from you through the Platform with information that we obtain from such third parties and information derived from any other products or services we provide.
If you send text messages with a Customer Member or Service Member using the telephone number for that Member available on the Platform, we may use a third-party service provider to track these text messages. We track these text messages for fraud prevention, to ensure appropriate charging of Fees, to enforce these Terms, and for quality and training purposes. As part of this process, Supwork and its service provider will receive in real-time and store data about your text message, including the date and time of the text message, your phone number, and the content of the text message.
Use of your personal information
We may use your information for any of the following reasons:
- For the purposes for which you provided it;
- To enable you to use the services available through the Platform, including registering you for our services and verifying your identity and authority to use our services;
- For customer support and to respond to your inquiries;
- For internal record-keeping purposes;
- To administer surveys, sweepstakes, promotions, or contests;
- To track fees and process billing and payment including sharing with third-party payment gateways and payment service providers in connection with the Platform;
- To improve and maintain the Platform and for product development;
- To address fraud or safety concerns, or to investigate complaints or suspected fraud or wrongdoing;
- To periodically send promotional emails regarding new products from Supwork, special offers from Supwork, or other information that may interest you;
- To contact you by text message regarding certain services or information you have requested;
- To contact you by telephone or text message regarding Platform features, improvements, or other products and services that may interest you;
- For Supwork’s market research purposes, including, but not limited to, the customization of the Platform according to your interests;
- To contact you about goods and services that may interest you or with information about your use of the Platform;
- For other research and analytical purposes; and
- To resolve disputes, to protect ourselves and other users of the Platform, and to enforce any legal terms that govern your use of the Platform.
We may display information related to your business, including your name or your business’s name, publicly on your profile, except to the extent we tell you we will not display such information. If the information you provide us upon signing up for an account differs from the information you provide us as part of the verification data we collect, we have sole discretion in determining which information will be displayed publicly on your profile. We may combine information that we collect from you through the Platform with information that we obtain from affiliated and non-affiliated third parties, and information derived from any other products or services we provide. We may aggregate and/or de-identify information collected through the Platform. We may use de-identified or aggregated data for any purpose, including without limitation for research and marketing purposes, and may also share such data with any third parties, including without limitation, advertisers, promotional partners, sponsors, event promoters, and/or others.
We may, either directly or through third parties we engage to provide services to us, review, scan, or analyze your communications with other users exchanged via the Platform or as otherwise described in this Policy for fraud prevention, risk assessment, regulatory compliance, investigation, product development, research, and customer support purposes. For example, as part of our fraud prevention efforts, we may scan and analyze messages to prevent fraud or improper actions. We may also scan, review, or analyze messages for research and product development purposes, as well as to debug, improve, and expand product offerings. By using the Platform or engaging in off-platform communications tracked by Supwork, you consent that Supwork, in its sole discretion, may, either directly or through third parties we engage to provide services to us, review, scan, analyze, and store your communications, whether done manually or through automated means.
Sharing Information with Third Parties
Unless otherwise described in this Policy, we may also share the information that we collect from you through the Platform as follows:
- Affiliates. We may share your information with any Supwork affiliates.
- Consent. We may disclose your information to nonaffiliated third parties based on your consent to do so. Such consent includes the disclosure of your information (a) to provide services or products that you have requested (please see below for more details); (b) when we have your permission; or (c) as described in this Policy, the Terms and Conditions, or any other legal terms governing your use of the Platform.
- Service Providers. We may provide access to your information to select third parties who perform services on our behalf. These third parties provide a variety of services to us including without limitation billing, sales, marketing, advertising, market research, fulfillment, data storage, analysis and processing, identity verification, fraud and safety protection and legal services. As we retain new service providers, we generally seek contractual assurances from these service providers that they will not use your information in any manner other than to help us provide you with the services and products available from Thumbtack.
- Legal Requirements. We may disclose your information when required by law or when we believe in good faith that such disclosure is necessary to: (a) comply with subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process we receive; (b) establish or exercise our legal rights including enforcing and administering agreements with users; or (c) defend Supwork against legal claims. If we are required by law to disclose your information, we will use commercially reasonable efforts to notify you unless (1) we believe in our sole discretion that providing notice could create a risk of injury or death, or that harm or fraud could be directed to Thumbtack or users; or (2) we are precluded from providing notice by law. We will attempt to provide the notice by email if you have given us an email address. While you may challenge the disclosure request, please be advised we may still be legally required to turn over your information.
- Protection of Supwork and Others. We may disclose your information to whomever necessary when we believe it appropriate to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding possible illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person, violations of the Terms and Conditions or any other legal terms governing use of the Platform, and/or to protect our rights and property and the rights and property of other users.
- Business Transfers. As we continue to develop our business, we may sell, buy, merge or partner with other companies or businesses, or sell some or all of our assets. In such contemplated or actual transactions or where there is any change of control of Supwork, user information may be among the shared and/or transferred assets.
- App Store Providers. We may provide your identity and mobile device identifier to third-party app store providers (for example, the Apple App Store) to allow you to download our mobile apps.
- Academics and Research. We may provide information about users to third parties for academic and research purposes, in anonymized or aggregated form.
Please be advised that some information you provide and/or that we collect will be publicly accessible. For instance, registration for an Account requires that you provide us with your name. If you register through Facebook, the Platform will use the name associated with your Facebook account. Your name (full name, or in some instances, your first name and last initial) may be visible to other users. Depending on the circumstances, your name may be attached to your Content or information, such as scheduling of Pro Services, service requests, reviews, participating in discussions or forums, messaging, and profile information. Certain other people, including other users with whom you have interacted via the Platform, will see information about you that is attached to your name. For example (but without limitation), if you are a Customer Member seeking Pro Services, the description you provide of your desired services, along with your name, will be shown to some Pro Members registered in the relevant category along with your name. Thus, other users may be able to personally identify you based on Content you provide. Similarly, the information we collect, including but not limited to when you last accessed the Platform, may be shared with other Members with whom you are interacting or otherwise made public.
We invite you to post allowed Contents on or through our Platform. However, please be careful and responsible whenever you are online. If you choose to post User Content on or through the Platform, such as through Member-to-Member messaging or through our review boards, forums, blogs, or other postings, that information: (a) may be or may become publicly available; (b) may be collected and used by third parties with or without our knowledge; and (c) may be used in a manner that may violate this Policy, the law, or your privacy.
Automatically Collected Information
Location Information. When you use the Platform, we may collect general location information (such as IP address). If you install our mobile app, we may ask you to grant us access to your mobile device’s geolocation data. If you grant such permission, we may collect information about your precise geolocation, and we may use that information to improve the Platform, including providing you with location-based features (e.g. for identification of Pro Services available near you). To deliver customized content and advertising, we may share your location information with our agents, vendors, or advertisers. If you access the Platform through a mobile device and you do not want your device to provide us with location-tracking information, you can disable the GPS or other location-tracking functions on your device, provided your device allows you to do this. See your device manufacturer’s instructions for further details. If you disable certain functions, you may be unable to use certain parts of the Platform.
Uses of Cookies
The Supwork website may use “cookies” to help you personalize your online experience. A cookie is a text file that is placed on your hard disk by a web page server. Cookies cannot be used to run programs or deliver viruses to your computer. Cookies are uniquely assigned to you, and can only be read by a web server in a domain that issued the cookies to you.
One of the primary purposes of the cookies is to provide a convenience feature to save you time. The purpose of a cookie is to tell the web server that you have returned to a specific page. For example, if you personalize Supwork pages, or register with the Supwork site or services, a cookie helps Supwork to recall your specific information on subsequent visits. This simplifies the process of recording your personal information, such as billing addresses, shipping addresses, and so on. When you return to the same Supwork website, the information you previously provided can be retrieved, so you can easily use the Supwork features that you customized.
You have the ability to accept or decline cookies. Most Web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully experience the interactive features of the Supwork services or websites you visit.
Security of your personal information
Supwork secures your personal information from unauthorised access, use, or disclosure. Supwork uses the following methods for this purpose:
- SSL Protocol
When personal information (such as a credit card number) is transmitted to other websites, it is protected through the use of encryption, such as the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol.
We strive to take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorised access to or alteration of your personal information. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the internet or any wireless network can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, you acknowledge that: (a) there are security and privacy limitations inherent to the internet which are beyond our control; and (b) security, integrity, and privacy of any and all information and data exchanged between you and us through the site cannot be guaranteed.
Children Under Thirteen
Supwork does not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of thirteen. If you are under the age of thirteen, you must ask your parents or guardian for permission to use this website.
From time to time, Supwork may contact you via email for the purpose of providing announcements, promotional offers, alerts, confirmations, surveys, and/or general communication.
If you would like to stop receiving marketing or promotional communications via email from Supwork, you may opt out of such communications by clicking the UNSUBSCRIBE button.
External Data Storage Sites
We may store your data on servers provided by third party hosting vendors with whom we have contracted.
Changes to this Statement
Supwork welcomes your questions or comments regarding this Statement of Privacy. If you believe that Supwork has not adhered to this statement, please contact Supwork at:
2093 Philadelphia Pike
Claymont, Delaware 19703
Effective as of February 11, 2020.